Saturday, November 27, 2010

I am a regular liar.

What's your definition of love?

My mother (an endless source of wisdom) once told me that it's not possible to fall out of love. And I believe her - when I think about the people I truly love, my brother, my parents - I know that no matter what they do, I'll always love them. No matter what.

What about romantic love?

It scares the shit out of me, that's what. I never know when those three words should come. Looking back on my past relationships, I've realized that I'm a huge liar. I didn't love any of those boys. Looking forward, I'm suddenly panicking; how am I supposed to know?

Realistically, true love takes a long time to develop. It relies heavily on things like mutual respect and trust. No matter how amazing they are, how you feel about them - how can you love someone you've only known for a few weeks? A few months? Sometimes it can take years to really figure out who a person is.

I think I need a transition word. Not "like", because that doesn't express much more than a general approval of a person. There are people in my life who I far more than like, but I don't know if I'm ready to say I love them.

Even some of my very best friends - what does that "love" mean? I tend to use it as a term meaning I care about them a lot. That's not too intimidating. I do, in a certain sense, love them.

So does that mean there are different levels of love? From the love I feel for my friends, to the love I feel for my brother? Maybe a scale of 1 to 10, with the girl who I care about a lot but is sometimes a dissapointment as a level 1 love, and my bro as level 10?

"Oh baby, I love you on a scale of 4 out of 10."

Hm... I don't see that going too well. So what am I supposed to say? I can't morally lie and tell someone I love them when I don't even really know what it means to romantically love someone. I'm not some stupid little kid who expects every new boy to be the one and only. One and only will come along, but I'm not going to know who he is on the first impression.

English language, you suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment